Saturday, November 23, 2013

Blurred Visions

They ordered me to draw patterns,
"Black straight lines-
towards the left."
"White straight lines-
towards the right."
And I drew them, flawlessly,
surprising myself.
Then they asked me to draw trees
in black and white.
I gave them back their colors,
black and white,
and walked away with tears in my eyes.
How can I draw?
the roots-new and old,
the ones travelling underground,
and the ones eager to watch the world above,
the trunk-
colored green, brown and yellow
all at the same time,
the branches-
who haven't made up their mind-
whether to be strong or weak,
the leaves-
who are confused
between autumn and spring,
and the fruits-
each one- half a virtue and half a vice.
Tell me,
How can I draw them all-
just in black and white?
So I walk away,
with tears in my eyes,
For when it comes to life my friend,
my vision is always blurred....
-Aparna

11 comments:

  1. Awesome. And Shinod's version is marvelous as well.
    https://www.facebook.com/notes/shinod-nk/%E0%B4%85%E0%B4%B5%E0%B5%8D%E0%B4%AF%E0%B4%95%E0%B5%8D%E0%B4%A4%E0%B4%82/673551436010561

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank youm Sreejithetta :) This is the first time someone is translating my poem, so I am naturally elated. And having it translated by Shinod is just cherry on top. I couldn't have asked for a better translation :) I shall post a link to the translation very soon :)

      Delete
  2. അവിടത്തെ മലയാളം വ്വേര്‍ഷന്‍ വായിച്ചിട്ടാണ് ഇവിടെയെത്തിയത്. വളരെ നന്നായിരിക്കുന്നു

    ReplyDelete